Monday, February 27, 2012

Some Disney Princess Motivation to Run

This past weekend was the Princess Half Marathon at Walt Disney World. I would love to run this race some day! Maybe in February 2014 since I am already planning to take a trip to Disney in January 2013 to do the Marathon weekend. I wish I could do both in 2013, but the cost is probably going to be prohibitive.
The Princess half seems to be a much more female- focused event than the regular marathon weekend. First of all, Disney has some fun "rewards" (okay, souvenirs) for finishing. How cute is that stuff? I would love to run the Princess half in that cool light up tiara! (Hey, at Disney, you're never too old to wear a tiara and pretend to be a princess!) And I have to admit I am a fan of the Disney Dooney & Bourkes. I love the limited edition Princess 1/2 marathon ones! I don't know if I'm ready to make such a big investment, though, since I won't carry a Disney themed purse outside of Disney. I'm not quite ready to fly that Disney geek flag quite so high, yet! haha! :-) Well, there's always the wristlet, which is not too expensive.
Disneyland also has a half marathon, the Tinkerbell Half Marathon. Here is a race report from it (the first one just happened at the end of January). Again, it seems to be more female- focused, but men are welcome to run all of these races. Some people (both men and women) chose to dress up as princesses or other well known Disney characters for these races. To me, that sounds like fun! I am already envisioning myself running that 13.1 through the castle in a Minnie costume! :-)
Okay, so those are the fun things you can buy, but now lets move on to some even better motivation! Here is an inspirational story of an amazing woman who was nearly paralyzed after a car accident, went through rehab, and ran the Princess 5K (that accompanies the Princess Half) along with her doctors and rehab team! What a great story!
For more info on runDisney events, go to http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/sports/rundisney
I'm sure this won't be the last runDisney post on this blog, but, as Tigger would say, TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. I will run ALL the Disney races with you! It's a goal of mine.
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Disney geek flag is flying high!! I carry my Disney D&B everyday! I also plan to go from couch to half marathon....good luck!

    ReplyDelete