Sunday, February 26, 2012

Failure after Success

So, after finishing my first 5K last weekend, I felt pretty darn good. So good, I decided to do another one this weekend.
My school district (I'm a music teacher) was hosting one on Sunday after the Marathon Kids final mile. I thought it would be fun to do, especially because it was free and a lot of my kiddos would be there running the mile to get their Marathon Kids finisher medal. (If you don't know what Marathon Kids is, here is some more info: http://www.marathonkids.org/ ) It was in honor of a PE teacher at another school in my district who passed away, so I thought it would be a good thing to do.
When I got there, I saw another teacher from my school. She said she'd run it with me. That was my first mistake because I wasn't going to go my own pace anymore, but much faster! (Love you L but you are WAY too fast for me!)
So, I started too fast, and never recovered. Eventually after I told L to keep going without me a bunch of times, she left me in the dust. Good for her! I think I need to run alone at races. From now on, I'll have to politely say "I'm sorry but I don't want to hold you back! I need to go my own slow pace." Note to self: remember, slow and steady wins the race! haha.
I ended up walking a lot after L left me. I was completely off of my run/walk routine and ended up mainly walking. I was so tired and had a sidestich. I made it about 3/4 of the way through the race, I think. There were 2 laps around the high school grounds and I completed about 1 1/2 laps before just walking back to my car feeling defeated. I'm pretty sure I was in last place in this tiny 5K and I really didn't want everyone waiting for me to finish. I could just envision them picking up all the cones behind me as I pitifully tried to run, but I was barely picking up my feet at that point.
I don't feel good about quitting. Especially not because some of my students were there. I don't think that any of them saw me quit, but what a horrible lesson to teach them. :-(
At least I learned an important lesson: to go my own pace. From the start.
I called my Mom after the race, and she seemed sympathetic. She used to run 5Ks, so I think she has been through the same thing.
It just wasn't my day today for running. I could use lots of encouragement after today. I won't quit running, but it will take me a bit to pick up the pieces from today!

2 comments:

  1. Pacing is unbelievably hard - I tend to start too slow b/c I fear burn out, but most people get hit with adrenaline and go too fast - totally normal! Just remember to do your best - find music that helps you pace at your comfort zone (I know people who practice pace with a metronome.. hard core!) and just keep on keeping on! Over 300 days until Marathon Weekend 2013, so no worries! And - no more beer before running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenn! Over 300 days? I can do that!
    Do you mean last weekend? I had a martini the night before the race! lol

    ReplyDelete