Sunday, May 13, 2012

Finally Getting It

I knew I just had to post tonight after a big first tonight. I ran outside in my neighborhood for the first time this evening! This is something that has scared me, but today I just felt this need to run. Outside. To the elementary school down the street. I kept thinking about it all day. I didn't actually do it until 8:15 p.m. after putting it off all day, but I did it!

I didn't quite make it all the way to the elementary school (I turned around when my app said 10 minutes left, which was the halfway mark) and now I wish I would have gone farther. I couldn't remember how much farther to the school (okay, I freaked out a bit!) Now I'm pretty sure I was only like a block away! Regardless, this is a big step for me. It may not seem like it to some of you, but running outside in my neighborhood (and not on a trail) scared me for many reasons. Until now, I had only ran on the treadmill or at Arbor Trails. I got over a lot of those fears tonight and just ran. Nothing bad happened to me, even though it was dark out (but my street is well lit). I could have gone during the day but I'm glad I waited since it wasn't 80, it was about 65 and much nicer out. It was a gentle slope up all the way to the school (or as far as I got!) and sloped back down on the way home which was nice. In all, I ran about 2 miles. I even had fun! And I even felt good afterwards! I'm starting to gain some speed. Which, I'm sure for some of you, is not speedy at all, but since I run like a tortoise, it feels fast to me. And it's fun! Also, It was so freeing to just leave my apartment and just start running. No driving to the gym or the trail first!

On the way back, as I was turning in to my apartment complex's driveway and I saw cars driving by, I thought, "I used to say, 'Why walk or run when you can drive?!' but now I get it. It's not getting there that matters, it's the journey." And I am well on my journey to becoming a fit and healthy person! (And I know the actual quote is "life is a journey, not a destination" and I don't take any credit for coming up with it, just applying it to my life.)

One funny thing that happened, though: When the workout on the 5K app ended, Jeff Galloway told me congratulations on finishing my journey! haha! (What?! I still have another 4 workouts on the app! Nice try, Jeff! Don't quit on me now!)

Next step: Town Lake! Bring it on! Who's with me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment