Sunday, April 29, 2012

I Ran My "Bunz" Off Today! (Bun Run Race Report)

I ran my "bunz" off today!


Okay, I'm sorry it has been far too long, but I have been sick on and off... darn spring allergies and then strep throat! I'm feeling better now and finished the Schlotzky's Bun Run 5K with my Weight Watchers group today.

Anyone who knows me knows I am NOT a morning person. I hate to wake up early, especially on weekends. So after waking up late this morning, I missed the group photo op for the Weight Watchers team. But since we were all wearing the same blue hats, it was not hard to find them near the start line. I still got there in plenty of time before the start.

(Me at the start. Notice the awesome blue hat! It says WW 12-12-12 Challenge.)

I even downloaded some new songs to add to my running playlist. And I have a few I need to either take off, or find an easier way to skip them while running since I had the playlist on shuffle. A few are songs that I love but I think are too slow to get me motivated. I don't want to bother taking off my iPhone armband, then unlocking it using the 4 digit code, then pressing skip. Far too much work while running. I need a pair of headphones with volume control and the ability to skip. Does that exist?

New songs I downloaded and added to my running playlist before the race today:
Oh, I <3 you, Adam Levine and your amazing voice!
Payphone, Maroon 5 f. Wiz Khalifa
Stronger, Kelly Clarkson
Part Of Me, Katy Perry
*And here comes the guilty pleasure songs*
Boyfriend, Justin Bieber
What Makes You Beautiful, One Direction
 Man, when One Direction came on, I was pumped and I could see mile marker 3! I was almost done and that song sure helped me pick up the pace. Gah, I am such a 16 year old girl for liking those two songs. haha!

I had my car key tied onto and tucked into my shoelaces on my right shoe and it was bugging me a little bit. Somewhere near the end of the race, I finally stopped, untied my shoes, and figured "I'll just hold my key for the rest of the race." That lasted about 2 seconds and then I realized I could tuck it in my iPhone armband. Why has it taken me this long to think of that?! Haha! When I finished, I realized I actually have a blister on the top of my foot from where the key was. Now I know- if I feel pain, stop and fix the problem!

After the race. Notice how happy I am to be done! I felt great afterward!
Anyways, it seemed pretty hard but I pretty much stayed with my run/ walk ratio and ended up finishing in about 40 minutes. Somewhere in the middle of the race I was barely running, I'd call it more of a shuffle! But I kept it up and was still able to finish strong. I actually finished 5 minutes faster than the Paramount 5K in February! I am really proud of myself for that big of a time difference. I have been training on my Jeff Galloway 5K app to do 13 minute miles, and I was right about that pace. I haven't been running a ton lately, though, due to being sick, so I am extra happy with this result!

Oh, and there were no Cinnabons before, during, or after the race, so I didn't have to worry! Haha! I did have a bite of Carvel ice cream but it was pretty bad, honestly. Not worth it.

Now, I am looking for other 5Ks (and 10Ks!) to do. I definitely will be doing the Keep Austin Weird 5K on June 23. I am looking for other 5Ks before and after that, and a 10K sometime this summer. The problem is, it's far too hot in July and August here to have 10Ks so no one does. But I want to sign up for one soon so I'm motivated to train for it. Maybe there's one in Buffalo or somewhere else not nearly as hot that I can travel to.... That might be a fun little summer trip!

I can't believe I'm sharing this horribly unflattering picture of me but it's the only one I took with the sandwich. I really wanted to say to him "Oh, you're so brave inside of your sandwich!" (-Miranda, Sex and the City) So, this is your reward for reading the WHOLE post! Good job!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Katie! I'm trying to find a 5k in my area sometime in June, when I'll be done with my C25k app.
    Keep it up!!! Looks like you had fun!!

    ReplyDelete